CO2 Energy Improving Energy Performance
CO2 Energy Improving Energy Performance
CO2 Enerty Improving Energy Performance
About Energy Assessment

How does this affect you?

Since 1 October 2008 all buildings whenever sold, built, rented or assigned require an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). It is intended to be a guide about the energy performance of the building. It will provide valuable information to help you decide on the energy rating and cost that might apply to your investment or business premises. It could affect your decision to buy or take occupation. The EPC is also being introduced to help improve the energy efficiency of our buildings. Its introduction is part of a programme of work across Europe to help preserve our energy and our planet. Larger public buildings will also need a Display Energy Certificate (DEC) showing the energy efficiency of the building and its usage. Only accredited energy assessors can produce EPC’s or DEC’s.

As a seller of a property it is your responsibility to make available the EPC to any potential buyers, free of charge. As the landlord you are required to make the EPC available to prospective tenants as soon as the property is offered for let. A lease assignment is treated as a sale and therefore the Assignor should provide the EPC.

As a seller or landlord it is your responsibility to provide the EPC, regardless of whether an agent or other organisation is acting on your behalf. You should check to ensure that your agent or organisation is complying with the regulations.

The penalty for not providing an EPC is 12.5% of Rateable Value, set with a minimum fine of £500 and capped at a maximum of £5000. A default penalty of £750 is applied where the property does not have a Rateable Value.

What is an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC)?

Each assessment is based upon the characteristics of the building and its services such as heating and lighting and its energy usage. The assessments create an asset rating for the property, which will reflect all the considerations assessed during the inspection. These include the age and condition of the building. The EPC will be accompanied by a report, which provides recommendations on how to use and maintain the building more effectively, and will also provide improvement recommendations to help enhance the building’s energy performance.

What is a Display Energy Certificate (DEC)?

A DEC is required on a building or part of a building occupied by either a public authority or an institution providing a public service to a large number of people. The building must have a total useful floor area of over 1000m2.

A DEC shows the energy performance of the building based on its actual energy consumption as recorded annually to provide an operational rating. The DEC also has an asset rating for the property if this is available by way of an EPC. The DEC is valid for one year and must be updated annually.

What is exempt?

There are some exemptions. An EPC will not be required:

  • for a place of worship
  • for temporary buildings with a planned use of less than two years
  • for detached stand alone buildings with a useful floor area of less than 50m2
  • for industrial sites, workshops and non residential agricultural buildings with a low energy demand.

An EPC is not required for a building, which is due to be demolished. The seller or landlord should be able to confirm that the building is suitable for demolition and there is proof of an application to do this from the local authorities.


Please call now for further information on the expert service we offer 01332 830202
Regulated by RICS

Privacy Policy | Terms of Use © CO2 Energy Improving Energy 2008 | Site by The Property Jungle